Labels

Thursday, November 24, 2011

What I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving

As I sit here in my apartment, 1800 miles away from my family, I contemplate on life. How much things have changed recently. People who have came into my life, and people who have gone out of it. Would I have guessed in a million years that I would've left California to go to school in the midwest? Never.

So, in honor of Thanksgiving, I think about what I am thankful for in my life:

I am thankful for my family and friends. Now most people would say that first as well, but I think that's because these groups of people are so influential in our lives. I know mine are.


I come from a large Portuguese family. I have 4 aunts, 3 uncles, 14 cousins, and 15 second cousins. We are a very loud, opinionated bunch, because we have to be, it's the only way people could hear us. In fact, if someone new came into this environment it would be very strange for them. The decibel level at our parties are at near stadium audience levels. Thanksgiving and Christmas sound more like concerts than family gatherings. But I wouldn't have it any other way.


These three guys have been the core of my friends as long as I could remember. We have over 48 years of collective friendship between us. We have been through a lot, from having walnut fights, burning our foreheads on hot-wire, charging at my bathroom and bedroom doors, effectively breaking them off the hinges, and all other sorts of shenanigans. The list can go on forever.


I am thankful for my education. If you were to ask me a year ago if I would even be going to college, I wouldn't have had an answer for you. At the time I was just working, trying to save up any money I could. I was afraid I was going to fall into mediocrity, even though I knew I was meant for bigger things. I just took a shot in the dark and started looking at out of state colleges that would have an agricultural communications major. I applied to Kansas State and to my surprise was accepted a few weeks later. I went to visit a couple months after that and realized these people here aren't just faculty, not just students, they're family. So essentially I have two families. Some don't even have one, and for that I am thankful. Not only that, but I'm thankful for a great athletics program here at K-State and being able to watch such an exciting football season. I can't wait for it to be basketball season!

I am thankful for being involved in agriculture in this country. According to Dirty Jobs host Mike Rowe, everything comes from two industries: mining and agriculture. I happen to agree. In my opinion, the three noblest professions are being in the military defending our freedoms, teaching children and passing on knowledge, and growing food to feed the world. I genuinely enjoy working as an ambassador and representative of agriculture. This is definitely something I want to have a career in.

So while you are eating your turkey tomorrow and hanging out with your family watching football, take a second to think of what you are thankful for.

No comments: